Thursday, September 20, 2018

Catnip Capers-Terrytoon Cartoon from 1940

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACtGwFhhHUs

Every once in a while I'll watch a Terrytoons cartoon and get to see the hacks who made them have fun. It's really a shame this kind of animation-hackish but fun and beautifully illustrated-is essentially extinct.

Plus it's got a pink elephant! And before you go "They copied Dumbo!" well this was in 1940, Dumbo came out in 1941. Let's enjoy a scene of a chair transforming into an elephant as the cat protagonist has a bad catnip "trip"






And later on in the cartoon the cat's running way from a train with a face. The elephant is there for some reason too.


These are only a couple of delightful surreal moments in this cartoon, watch the whole thing for a TON of wacky fun! Don't get me wrong I appreciate genuine artistic merit in modern-day stuff like the videos from Pilotredsun (I may do a post on one of his videos sometime) but this type of animation was only possible when cartoons were seven minutes long, were in movie theaters, and had high budgets. Yes the Terrytoons guys were a bunch of hacks, but they certainly seemed to be having fun.

And speaking of movie theaters, when I get an Oculus Go I'll definitely be watching some of these cartoons on it as apparently it's like looking at a giant TV screen. I'll see how it compares to a movie theater and I'm definitely looking forward to doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment