Friday, September 7, 2018

Comicolor Ads

I haven't seen the Comicolor cartoons but I do know that after the failure of the Willie Whopper series the Comicolor series was something of an imitator of Disney's Silly Symphonies. I have seen all of Flip the Frog and enjoyed it but don't remember it much. I certainly look forward to the Flip the Frog DVD release from Thunderbean as watching all the shorts on YouTube the film quality was all over the place, some restored, some grainy. I also find it humorous how in the vintage cartoon community Flip the Frog has a little meme around him where people say "I base my life around Flip the Frog's teachings" and "Flip the Frog is my spirit animal." Perhaps I'll rewatch some of the wonderful Flip the Frog cartoons and post some stills. But for now here are some Comicolor ads.






The cartooning in these posters is absolutely wonderful. Whoever drew these really knew what they were doing. Also the last one featured, Balloonland, kind of reminds me of this *Notice how they hold hands):



If you're wondering, this is from Hi Ho Comics #1 by the forgotten comic artist Ellis Holly Chambers. The comic page in the header for this blog is by him, he's a favorite of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment